Are you confused about payroll deductions and payroll liabilities? If so, don't feel alone! They can confuse a lot of people.
As bookkeepers we see a lot of things that we feel to be "odd" when dealing with payroll deductions. From the normal employee advance and repayments, to deductions for Fed-Ex or UPS fees, tool repayments, voluntary disability payments, you name it!
The question always seems to center around - is this really a company expense and how the heck do I record these transactions? p>Continue reading
Setting up QuickBooks payroll and entering historical data can be quite confusing. Thankfully, there is a built in Payroll Setup Wizard that will help you through the rough spots; like creating payroll tax items and accounts and entering historical payroll data.
Still there are choices to make. Will you be processing future payrolls through QuickBooks - if so you'll need a payroll subscription. If you use an outside payroll service and just want to get that payroll data into your company file - then turning on manual payroll might be the way to go.
When it comes to entering historical data, there are a couple of ways to do it. But the method you choose should be based on how valuable job-costed payroll is.Continue reading
Using an outside payroll service, such as Paychecx or ADP, is a popular option for many business owners. While using a payroll service often provides many benefits one of the biggest challenges or drawbacks is for the company that needs job costing. See this question submitted by a reader.
My company uses a 3rd party to do all of our payroll. We receive an itemized report back showing what we spent for the week. I am having trouble trying to get this information charged out to individual jobs. I track all of the hours separately in Excel, with estimated costs. How can I job cost this information?Continue reading
- The Great Debate – QuickBooks Desktop vs. QuickBooks Online
- Using Account Numbers in Your QuickBooks Chart of Accounts
- QuickBooks Creating a More Meaningful Payroll Expenses Section
- Calculating & Displaying Fringe Benefits on a Certified Payroll Report
- QuickBooks Tip - Child Support Garnishments
- How To Turn On and Use Manual Payroll in QuickBooks
- Create a QuickBooks Job Cost Report With Hours & Payroll Costs
- QuickBooks Payroll Tip - Tracking Employee Advances or Loans
- QuickBooks Tip - Job Costing Starts With A Simple Item
- QuickBooks for Contractors Tip – Basics of Progress Invoicing
- QuickBooks Tip-Creating a Functional Payroll Liabilities Section
- Welcome to the QuickBooks for contractors blog
- QuickBooks Tip: Important Facts About Items Left as Billable
- QuickBooks Tip-Handling Employee Reimbursements for Expenses
- QuickBooks Tip - Determing Cost of Goods Sold
- Straight from the IRS - Social Security Tax Reduced to 4.2%
- QuickBooks 2015 Announced - Important System Requirements
- QuickBooks Tip - Handling Retainage
- QuickBooks 2013 Upgrade Do's, Don'ts & Frequent Questions
- QuickBooks 2012 - Frequently Asked Questions About Upgrading