QuickBooks & AVG Anti-Virus software
A recent AVG Anti-Virus update was responsible for receiving the following error message when trying to open (start) QuickBooks:
An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to start the database server that manages access to the QuickBooks company file. Error (-6094,0).
According to an Intuit Support Article, this issue was resolved by AVG, who had unnecessarily detected QuickBooks as being infected with a virus.
The fix, was not pleasant and I’m certain that there were a lot of very unhappy QuickBooks users!
Correcting the problem involved the following steps:
- Update AVG to the latest virus definition
Signature file 271.1.1/2832 (AVG v9.0.814) – this update was just released to correct the issue where AVG unnecessarily detects QuickBooks as infected with a virus
- Restore QuickBooks files that were quarantined by the anti-virus.
Repair the QuickBooks installation.
Intuit offered the following detailed instructions for resolving Error (-6094,0):
Follow these instructions to update AVG to the latest virus definition:
- Open the AVG Anti-Virus User Interface
- Click on the Update now button on the left part of the AVG user interface
- From the Tools menu, select Update
Important: Always make sure to download the latest virus updates so that you are always protected
Restore any QuickBooks files that are in the vault :
- Open AVG Anti-Virus User Interface
- Click History from the top menu bar and select Virus Vault
- Locate any QuickBooks files and select one file at a time
- Possible files include: qbw32.exe, qbdbmgr.exe, qbdbmgrn.exe
- Click Restore located at the bottom of the window
- Once finished restoring all QuickBooks files, click Close
- Close AVG Anti-Virus User Interface
If you are still unable to open QuickBooks, or if there were no QuickBooks files in the Virus Vault, you may need to repair the QuickBooks installation.
Click the link below for steps on repairing QuickBooks:
Repairing QuickBooks does not affect company data files (.QBW). The data stored in these files will remain intact.